Two people were killed on the 22 Freeway in Garden Grove after a man was struck by a vehicle when he got out of a disabled vehicle, an incident that triggered a subsequent crash. According to a news report in The Orange County Register, 50-year-old Raul Vazquez Jr., 50, of Santa Ana was pronounced dead at the scene and Charlotte Nugent, 68, of Seal Beach died at a local hospital. She was driving one of the vehicles that crashed. The incident occurred the morning of November 23, 2017.
Fire officials said Vazquez, whose car became disabled, stepped out of his car and was struck by a vehicle. That vehicle crashed into a wall as a result triggering a three-vehicle chain-reaction collision. It is not clear if anyone else was injured in this tragic crash. No arrests or citations were reported. The investigation is still ongoing.
Our heartfelt condolences go out to the family members and friends of Vazquez and Nugent for their tragic loss. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
What Caused This Crash?
Based on this news report, it is unclear as to what triggered this chain of events. In which part of the freeway was Vazquez standing when he was struck by the other vehicle? Which one of the vehicles hit Vazquez? What caused the driver to strike the man? Did alcohol or drugs play a part? Was distracted driving or speed a factor? We trust officials are looking into these and other issues in order to determine precisely what occurred here and why.
If Your Vehicle Becomes Disabled
Motorists whose vehicles become disabled on the freeway often find themselves in a dangerous position. If you are ever in such a situation, it is important that you know what you need to do. Here are a few tips:
- If your vehicle breaks down in the middle of the road and you are unable to move over to the side of the road, call 911 and remain inside your vehicle until you get help.
- If you are able to make it to the shoulder or off-ramp, make sure to move it as far to the right as possible.
- Make sure your emergency flashers are on regardless of time of day so people are able to see your vehicle.
- If you arrange for a tow truck, wait until it arrives.
- If you absolutely must get out of the vehicle, get off on the right and away from traffic. Always be aware of your surroundings.
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact an experienced Orange County personal injury lawyer to obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights.