Published on:

Fatal San Diego Motorcycle Accident Kills Two


William C. “Bill” Mesa, 57, and his daughter-in-law, 29-year-old Crystal Roberts-Mesa, died in a San Diego County motorcycle accident in Jamul after Mesa lost control of his Harley-Davidson and crashed into a power pole, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports. The motorcycle accident occurred on Lyons Valley Road, a quarter mile east of Skyline Truck trail.

I offer my deepest condolences to the Mesa family, which lost two of its members in this tragic accident.

California Highway Patrol Officer, Rob Sanchez said alcohol may have been a factor. But Mesa’s wife of 31 years, Cheryl Mesa, says that her husband and daughter-in-law only had a few beers during a family gathering, that he was not intoxicated and that it was unlike her husband to lose control of his motorcycle. She and other family members believe that a car, animal or some other dangerous condition on the roadway may have caused Bill Mesa to swerve. Toxicology tests are pending.

Based upon Cheryl Mesa’s belief that her husband was an excellent rider and it wasn’t like him to lose control, she should have the bike examined by experts. Evidence of something that may have come in contact with the bike may tell a story of what caused this accident. There is also the possibility of a mechanical malfunction or debris on the roadway.

If it was another vehicle that led to this fatal motorcycle crash and that vehicle is not identified, then the heirs of each of the deceased can make a claim against their respective auto insurance policies for benefits under the “uninsured motorist” coverage. A successful claim under these circumstances will require some evidence of contact by that other vehicle however.

The family will be well-advised to retain the services of an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. A skilled attorney will also be looking into whether there was a dangerous condition on the roadway, which caused Bill Mesa to lose control. If such a hazardous roadway condition in San Diego existed, then the family may be able file a claim with the municipality or the governmental agency, which is responsible for maintaining that roadway. There is a six month filing requirement on claims against governmental agencies.

Published on:

Comments are closed.

Contact Information