As most car accident insurance attorneys will tell you, there is plenty of misconceptions regarding insurance premiums. When it comes to car insurance rates, there are a number of stories we hear from friends, family, and co-workers. Some of these tips and tricks are true, while others are just a waste of time and effort. To receive the best deal on car insurance you want to know the factors you can control to lower your payments and increase your savings.
There are a number of factors that are in your control and if properly executed will lower your insurance rate. These are:
- The company you select
- The type of coverage you select (liability insurance, comprehensive insurance, etc.)
- Special discounts such as good driver discounts, low-mileage discounts, multi-car discount and more
- Cancel your collision and/or comprehensive coverage on old cars
- Request higher deductibles
- Pay your bills on time. Part of your premiums are based on your credit scores.
- The type of vehicle you drive affects your rates. A $40,000.00 fiberglass body will receive more damage in a wreck than a $40,000.00 GMC Truck.
- Drive Defensively. Avoid car crashes and never drink and drive (DUI Accidents will increase your premiums exponentially)
It is good to know that some things are in your control as far as insurance rates are concerned. There are also factors that will be out of your control when dealing with insurance rates, such as age, sex, where you live, marital status, and even what you do for a living.
Though it is nice to know that insurance rates can be lowered, we still have not discussed the biggest myth of all: believing that your insurance company is on your side. Think about it. An insurance company is in the business of making money. When they have to pay you money on your claim, they are losing money. Every dollar that an insurance company saves on your claim is another dollar that goes to profit.
If you are involved in a Los Angeles car accident it is a good idea to consult with an experienced California personal injury lawyer. An experienced lawyer will help you receive a just settlement for your injuries.